Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Needle-less Beading

Maybe I am a genius. Maybe this is dumb or obvious. But *I* felt inspired this morning to come up with such a simple solution!

DSCN2154
Girls Treasure/Jewelry Box
 I have been wanting to do beading with RJ  for a really long time. But the thought of giving my daughters (specifically AJ) needles - even plastic ones - was a big turn off to taking on this project.

Since starting any project like this means stepping on small beads for weeks on end, I wanted to figure out how to do this with limited mess before Pip starts crawling. And maybe it is just one of those things that we won't be able to do for a while.

Today was raining... It has rained a lot the last 6 weeks and we have been bored. Enter, trip to the dollar store. We got soaked. We bought some craft stuff. Specifically, a pack of beads.

We got home and I realized I still didn't know exactly how we were going to string them. I pulled out some big embroidery needles- NO WAY! RJ started saying she was scared (Rightly so, I was not liking the mental images of how THAT would go with AJ around.) and so...


DSCN2140
TAPE! You could also use shoe laces- but I don' t have any extras laying around. And cheap twine and scotch tape.

DSCN2150
works perfectly!

DSCN2151
Knot around a bead at the end and you're good to go!
DSCN2162
Girls ages: 4.5 and 2.75years
DSCN2155
RJ made the necklace and AJ made the bracelet.

I am very excited that the girls enjoyed this so much...We have spent many hours today "beading". 

*Obviously a choking hazard- keep an eye on young children with this project. AJ kept insisting she was just "sniffing dem" when I told her to keep them away from her mouth. :0D 

No comments:

Post a Comment